Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Slow Down

There is a delicate balance to life and existence that all of us feel. It is as simple as wind that blows lightly on your skin, or as a hurricane. Forces we can't even begin to understand, but that effect us none the less.

These past few months my life balance has shifted towards work and being a task master... divide and conquer. The way my imbalanced life is often righted is with a solid dose of the 102 degrees fever. This temperature seems to be just the right amount to knock me off my feet and force me to be calm and rest for a couple of days, without sending me to the hospital.

The problem is that this is a cycle in my life that is annoying and probably avoidable. I need to figure out how NOT to fall ill to exhaustion every 6 months. I try to mitigate the stresses and live in the moment, but I'm not doing a very good job. Slow down maybe? Easier said than done. Any suggestions?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

shortly after reading this entry, I started a book that had this story in the first few pages...

the story of the five balls

Imagine life is a game in which you are juggling five balls. The balls are called work, family, health, friends, and integrity. And you are keeping all of them in the air. But one day you finally come to understand that work is a rubber ball. If you drop it, it will bounce back. The other four balls-- family, health, friends, integrity--are made of glass. If you drop one of these, it will be irrevocably scuffed, nicked, perhaps even shattered. And once you truly understand the lesson of the five balls, you will have the beginnings of balance in you life.
James Patterson, in Suzanne's Diary for Nicholas
thinking and loving you and your family... Barb

TAM said...

Great insights! What is the title of that book? Sounds like I might enjoy it.