Sunday, June 1, 2008

4 Year Old

My first born baby turns 4 tomorrow and for some reason this milestone is tugging my emotional strings pretty hard. It seems silly to say, but I really do remember Sarah and I laying in bed at our little house on Spring Arbor Rd., staying up late and trying to figure out if it was the right time to start having kids...does Sarah fill her BC prescription the next day. We had been married about 4 years and Sarah was ready. I was too, except like most guys, I had financial concerns, and worried about stability.

That next day though I had a strange clarity and peace. As soon as I got to work, I ordered flowers to be delivered to Sarah with a simple message that went something like this, "Don't pick up the pills, were ready!" Almost exactly 9 months later Ashtyn Greer Ansel came screaming into the world, and life has never been the same.

You never really know how deeply your parents love you until you are blessed with a child. Seriously, every day, I am in awe of the bond that is there between us and our kids. Through good times and temper tantrums, it is constant and never changes. It is a powerful force that words really can't even come close to describing...so I'm not even going to try.

Anyways, I'm so thankful for this love and the way that it changes and expands with time and with the addition of siblings. I wonder if God feels the same way about us through the ages? It sure gives me hope to think that God does.

No comments: